From HarperCollins Publisher:
Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid and trying to forget the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he's alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she's determined to find out if the accusations were true.
Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward, Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the secret of her father's new life: he experiments on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.
Inspired by H.G. Wells's classic The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.
Buy the Book
What People Are Saying
“The fast-paced book is rife with excitement, romance, and intrigue.”
--School Library Journal STARRED REVIEW
“Unexpected twists and a cliffhanger ending that should leave [readers] craving more.”
“Anyone who doesn’t pick up the next volume is mad!”
“A deft twist on a familiar classic, THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER has the best of everything: beautiful writing, breakneck pacing, a pulse-pounding mystery, and an irresistible romance.”
--Carrie Ryan, New York Times bestselling author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth series
“Romantic, haunting, and full of spine-tingling thrills, THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER kept me reading late into the night.”
--Veronica Rossi, New York Times bestselling author of UNDER THE NEVER SKY
News & Honors
- Winner, North Carolina Young Adult Book Award (2013)
- Summer 2013 New Voices pick, American Booksellers Association
- Winter 2012 Indie Next Pick, American Booksellers Association
- ABC Best Books for Children pick, American Booksellers Association
- Book Club Pick of the Month, Seventeen Magazine
- Starred Review, School Library Journal
- #1 Most Requested Book of 2012, Goodreads
- "High Demand Hot List of Youth", Booklist
- The Madman's Daughter has been optioned by Paramount Pictures, with Fake Empire producing. More information can be found at this Variety Magazine article.
- Foreign sales: US/CANADA: Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins; UK/AUSTRALIA: HarperVoyager; RAZIL: Novo Conceito; PAIN: RBA Libros; URKEY: Dogan Egmont; RANCE: Editions Milan; LOVAKIA: Ikar; AIWAN and CHINA: 21st Century Publishing.